At times, we get caught up with workload that we don’t give ourselves time to come up for air. Being busy and having a never-ending list of tasks can lead to anxiety and stress. Work can’t always stop, but stress can. It is important to minimize stress to ensure that our health and well being are in check. Here are some ways that you can reduce stress to maintain steady and focus throughout the day:
- Swap caffeine for herbal tea– Chamomile and ginger are soothing to the digestive system and grounding to emotions. Lavender also helps with calming the nervous system.
- Take a time-out – With a jam-packed schedule and ongoing projects, tension can build up quickly through the workday. Take short breaks to walk around or chat with a coworker to help you relax and get into a different mindset, even for a moment.
- Catch your breath- Take a few slow, deep breaths, inhaling through your nose for 5 seconds and exhaling through your mouth for the same amount of time. Repeat this as many times until you feel centered again.
- Foods that fight stress- Incorporate foods with more minerals and vitamins that can help balance out your moods and keep you calm and focused. For example, folic acid, which can be found in asparagus, spinach, and avocado, is essential in serotonin regulation which manages a variety of functions, from determining mood to regulating social behavior.
- Aim to leave early in the morning- Even 10-15 minutes can make a difference between rushing to work and having time to ease into your day. Don’t add to your stress levels by running late.
- Get enough sleep– Not only can stress and worry cause insomnia, but a lack of sleep can leave you vulnerable to even more stress. When you’re well-rested, it’s much easier to keep your emotional balance, a key factor in coping with job and workplace stress. Keep a tight schedule and aim for 8 hours a night.
- Get support– Having a network of close relationships is vital in helping you through stressful times. Being able to express how a project or other work-related issues are piling on and making you feel tense or frustrated can help relieve stress just by communicating it and having someone you trust acknowledge it.
Work is something that stresses us every now and then however, it is also important for us to take care of ourselves so that we can be productive at work.